Posted by Zion Adventure Company on 04/18/2019
Industry Sector: Bike, Outdoor
Job Categories: Customer Service, Education - Outdoor, Guide, Merchandising, Operations, Outdoor Education, Retail - Sales
Country: United States
Required Experience: 0 - 1 year
Contact Name: Jon Ritze
Contact Phone: 4357721001
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
Outfitter (Immediate Opening)
Application Deadline: April 22, 2019 for positions starting May 6th, 2019
We are currently accepting applications for 2019 positions.
Helping People Have Fun.
Helping People Have Fun. The Outfitting Staff of Zion Adventure Company forms the backbone of our business operations. Outfitters work inside and play outside; they go canyoneering, hike, climb, and bike to understand Zion and all it has to offer. Hundreds of Park visitors stop by each day seeking assistance in making the most of their time here. It is the Outfitter’s responsibility to help them leave Zion Adventure Company with an empowering sense of direction. Outfitters prepare visitors to hike the Zion Narrows, answer questions about our services, maintain the vast amounts of equipment we send out each day, and perform other crucial tasks that help visitors have memorable experiences.
- Age Requirements: Minimum of 22 years of age if combining it with Assistant Guide or Trailhead Shuttle Driver
- Desire to help other people. Primarily, to help them have fun visits and be safe
- Desired Experience: Some familiarity with Word, Excel, and e-mail programs; comfortable with computers as productivity tools. ZAC works with Macintosh computers; familiarity with Macintosh is helpful.
- Desired Knowledge/Skills:
- A willingness to learn and teach
- Strong spoken and written communication skills
- An outstanding work ethic
- An ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Commitment to serving others
- Strong attention to detail
- An engaging, outgoing personality
- Responsible and mature
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Enjoys creating order in chaotic environments
- Ability to work and stay on-task with minimal supervision
- Ability to apply problem-solving skills
- Insightful, can foresee challenges and problems works to prevent them
- Sense of humor. Can make work fun and/or funny in positive ways
- Season: May 6th-December 1st. Contact us if you have date questions
- Full- and Part-time (seasonal and year-round) positions available with a minimum of 3 days per week
- Schedule: In the shop 4-5 days a week depending on season/amount of business. Some outfitters also drive shuttles, which effects the shop schedule. Our aim is to create a regular work schedule for you where you have the same 2 consecutive days off.
- Compensation: Commensurate with skills, experience, and commitment
- Starting pay is $13 per hour. Staff may be eligible for performance-based raises
- Challenges: Busy season rushes of people all renting gear at the same time
- Year-round work: Winter work (December 1-Feb 28) is available for several of our Outfitters. Many stay on for the winter season to outfit part-time, work on seasonal projects, while mixing in a few weeks of vacation and travel.
- Combo Positions: Many Outfitters work combo positions where some of their regular work week is spent as a Trailhead Shuttle Driver
- Attending staff meetings outside the work day (approx. 1 per month)
- Facilitating meaningful, helpful, intelligent, and pleasant conversations with customers
- Managing product inventory on our retail floor
- Informing customers about retail products in the store
- Building an impressive knowledge base of the roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area on personal time
- Offering expertise on local recreation opportunities and logistics
- Helping connect clients with guided trips and other Zion activities
- Solving problems with grace and efficiency
- Checking out customers at the cash register
- Checking in, cleaning, and repairing gear
- Booking guided trips and shuttle reservations
- Answering the phone and replying to e-mails
- Outfitting customers for the Narrows
- Renting Bicycles for visitors riding into Zion National Park
- Answering visitor questions
This position requires a high level of responsibility and accountability. We strive to ensure all interactions with our customers are positive, fulfilling, and inspiring. We expect all staff to operate in a professional manner.
- Free use of company rental gear for personal recreation days
- Free tuition for all ZAC trips and courses
- Work with an incredible team connected individuals dedicated to a high quality of life for themselves and our guests. We want the same for you. Unlike cubicle neighbors, we get to know each other. Our staff want each other to be great, to pursue excellence in all we do, to support each other, be supported and deliver a high level of performance every day.
- Pro-purchase opportunities from most outdoor equipment manufacturers
- Live within the towering walls of Zion National Park, Utah
- A truly astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life
About Zion Adventure Company
Since 1996 we have been Zion National Park's premiere outfitters, educators, and guides - helping visitors experience Zion like no one else can. We embrace the opportunity to connect visitors with adventure in the area which extends to many realms. This includes guided trips in canyoneering, rock climbing, mountain biking, 4X4 Overland tours, hiking and backpacking. Our rental and retail store specializes in equipping visitors with anything they may need to better enjoy the area from friendly knowledgable staff. We rent out equipment for the Zion Narrows as well as other slot canyon adventures requiring specialized cold water equipment and help assist bicyclists with bike rentals, and information to enjoy the park on two wheels. We are passionate about providing an exceptional level of service to others and strive for excellence in everything that we do.