Multi-sport Assistant Guide
Posted by Zion Adventures on 01/13/2020
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Guide
Company Type: Gym/Outfitter, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation, Service, TravelandTourism
Country: United States
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
Assistant Guide and Outfitter
Application Deadline: February 7th, 2019 for positions starting March 2nd, 2020.
We are currently accepting applications for 2020 positions.
Many dream of working in the outdoor industry, but few find opportunities for real-world training like this. Being an assistant guide at Zion Adventures is demanding, rewarding, and extremely educational. Assistant Guides spend about 1/2 of their season working in the shop as an outfitter, and the other 1/2 out in the field on trips. Towards the end of the season, some Assistant Guides feel ready to lead trips on their own and stay on staff as Lead Guides the following season. We invite our applicants to view working with us as multi-year opportunity.
- Minimum of 23 years of age
- An enduring commitment to learning, and the ability to do so quickly
- Ability to work well with all types people, especially children
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder Certification
- Experience with technical rope systems/skills
- Experience riding technical mountain bike terrain
- Experience climbing in single pitch terrain
- Commitment to serving others
- Ability to create order in chaotic environments
- Checking in, cleaning, and repairing gear
- Answering questions and facilitating meaningful, helpful, intelligent, and pleasant conversations with customers
- Outfitting customers for the Narrows and other hikes
- Answering the phone and replying to e-mails
- Booking guided trips and shuttle reservations
- Offering expertise on local recreation opportunities and logistics
- Managing product inventory on our retail floor
- Participate in professional training opportunities regularly
- Work collaboratively with fellow guides and guide management
- Facilitate half- and full-day canyoneering, hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking trips
- Create a safe, fun, and educational atmosphere
- Build, evaluate, and manage a wide variety of anchor and rope systems
- Wash, repair, and maintain guide equipment
a comprehensive knowledge base of the roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden
secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding areas
Dates of Employments:
March 2nd - November 29th
Schedule is determined by client demand and trip bookings. As a result, you may work 3 days during some weeks, but will most often work 5 days. Our aim is to create a regular work schedule for you where you have the same 2 consecutive days off.
Each year, there are some year-round staff positions available.
About Zion Adventures
Since 1996 we have been Zion National Park's premiere outfitters, educators, and guides - helping visitors experience Zion like no one else can. We embrace the opportunity to connect visitors with adventure in the area which extends to many realms. This includes guided trips in canyoneering, rock climbing, mountain biking, 4X4 Overland tours, hiking and backpacking. Our rental and retail store specializes in equipping visitors with anything they may need to better enjoy the area from friendly knowledgable staff. We rent out equipment for the Zion Narrows as well as other slot canyon adventures requiring specialized cold water equipment and help assist bicyclists with bike rentals, and information to enjoy the park on two wheels. We are passionate about providing an exceptional level of service to others and strive for excellence in everything that we do.