Product Line Manager
Posted by Accell North America on 01/10/2019
Industry Sector: Bike
Job Categories: Marketing
City: Kent, WA (Southend Seattle)
Country: United States
Required Experience: 7 - 10 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $70,000 +
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Job Title: Product Line Manager
Reports To: Head of Marketing
The brand management team at Accell North America (ANA) forms the heart and soul of our company and culture, accountable for setting the vision, planning and actively growing our brands, our business and our leadership position in the North American cycling market.
ANA has a unique, consumer-centric business model integrating both online and offline selling channels, and we are growing fast. To help us continue to drive growth in 2019 and beyond, we are seeking an experienced Product Line Manager (PLM) to build our diverse bike brands through a product portfolio that differentiates our brands, creates strong consumer appeal, serves our diverse retail base and continually elevates our competitive position in the market.
The PLM is a critical partner accountable for championing the vision, market insights, strategy and execution of our portfolio for designated branded product lines in partnership with sales, marketing, operations and other cross-functional and Accell Group global team partners.
This job is not for the faint of heart. Sure, we love “dirt bag” bikers and other passionate outdoor folks here. And we love our rides for tacos on Tuesday. But, be warned, the PLM job is an “all in” job for a performance-driven leader eager to be a part of a highly entrepreneurial experience. If you appreciate being a little uncomfortable, pushing the edges, moving fast in a rapidly changing environment that values results, teamwork and fun, this might be the best job you ever had.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- On an on-going basis, deeply mines and understands the marketplace for selected branded product lines leading 4Cs (consumer, customer, competitor, company). Be the company’s deep market expert for all things concerning bike products in North America.
- Leads in the identification and analysis of key market growth opportunity spaces.
- Translates market data and insights into a product line vision, key strategies, product platforms/initiatives and an annual road map to grow brand, business and market position.
- Leads definition and organization alignment of product propositions, pricing, distribution/segmentation, promotional plan (in partnership with marketing and channels) for existing and new products/innovation to drive success in the marketplace
- Manages branded product line and portfolio to address market needs/opportunities and simultaneously drive product revenue and margin productivity for respective product lines across multiple channels.
- The PLM uses business, brand and market data to develop and grow diverse branded product lines. They are the champion of the branded product line and innovation responsible for the management of all existing and new products and their successful development and launch in strong partnership with internal teams, in particular product development, brand, marketing, operations and sales.
= The PLM is responsible for collaborating with sales and marketing to define the key marketing dates of launching new/updated products, and informs all involved on these gates, and keeps track if these key dates are met.
= On an on-going basis, deeply mines and understands the marketplace for selected branded product lines leading 4Cs (consumer, customer, competitor, company). He/she grounds decisions on consumer insights, competitive range offerings, channel analysis, detailed sell-in and sell-through data, competitive pricing analyses and market data.
= The PLM proactively analyses how to improve the current offering, identifying gaps in the collection, product and consumer price build-up, complexity reduction and initiates the development of new products.
- Leads definition and organization alignment of product propositions, pricing, distribution/segmentation, promotional plan (in partnership with marketing and sales) for existing and new products/innovation to drive success in the marketplace
= He or she builds an in-depth knowledge of competitor product offers up to the detailed spec level, pricing and margin, and keeps track of market developments and trends to be able to make a product line (and innovation) plan for each Brand that can compete in the market, that is in line with the desired brand positioning and grow the business.
= You define gaps and opportunities for the collection of each brand. You will be informed about the latest technologies, innovations and components by the product development teams, who you collaborate with continuously. Together with the marketing and sales, you define the innovation priorities for the brands and brief development from a brand, business and market perspective, maximizing all opportunities to drive sales- and margin growth.
- Builds the new product pipeline. Advocates and builds compelling, market-driven business cases in support of high-potential innovation platforms and concepts; proactively gains support from stakeholders including global team for mid-term development.
= In partnership with brand head, translates market data and insights into a product line vision, key strategies, product platforms/initiatives and an annual road map to grow brand, business and market position.
= The PLM aligns with sales on the collection line-plan, advises the sales on distribution strategy and focus models and takes part in the weekly commercial meetings.
= The PLM advises/leads on consumer research whenever it is necessary to test the potential of new concepts and proposes product improvements based on these findings.
= He/she is responsible for developing the seasonal and yearly collection as well as for developing products and lines outside of the calendar planning when there is extra demand for these, such as special editions, promotional bikes or improved versions of a bestseller.
= The PLM is involved in and updated on new (technological) developments and supports the development team in making the right choices
= He or she aligns with sales to understand the success of the collections and makes monthly progress updates for the marketing and sales teams
- Leads overall product communication, education and sell-in of the product line to sales and other key stakeholders; represents product line to broad internal and external constituencies such as Accell Global team, consumer and trade events, product reviews/PR, etc.
- Acts as company “hub of wheel” and collaborates across the company on all product portfolio and launch related matters, including:
- Collaborates with sales, finance, marketing, development to align strategy and strategic, annual and quarterly revenue and margin goals for product lines of business
- Collaborates/partners with product development team to manage products from brief to commercialization/launch on a seasonal and annual basis
- Partners with operations and sales to manage communications of all supply-related issues for product lines of business
- Partners with marketing and sales to create annual and seasonal launch plans for key product introductions/collections in support of annual and seasonal goals
- Partners with sales and product development to support sell-in of product line with key accounts as needed
- Leads overall product communication, education and sell-in to sales and other key stakeholders of the product line; represents product line to broad internal and external constituencies such as Accell Global team, consumer and trade events, product reviews/PR, etc.
= Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Marketing or related field. MBA highly desired.
= 7+ years of experience in managing a product line on a consumer product business and brand.
= You have a minimum of 3+ years working on a “physical” / hardgoods product line of business, ideally bikes or a related category.
= You have a minimum 3+ years of responsibility for building and launching a new product pipeline
= You have demonstrated experience and results managing products from brief to launch; must have lead launches in a consumer goods business with a highly collaborative company
= Project Leader: You have demonstrated success in simultaneously leading and managing many over-lapping projects. Exceptional project manager.
= Entrepreneurial and Creative: You have lead a product from opportunity/insight to launch. You have specific examples of solving business challenges creatively.
= Learner and Innovator: You have a deep desire to learn and grow and you apply that to solving problems for the consumer, brand and business. You seek new approaches. You may even like being a little uncomfortable most of the time.
= Communicator: Exceptional communicator with demonstrated bias for aligning and keeping teams involved up/down/across the organization.
= Results Oriented: You never give up and always drive to achieve what you set out to achieve. You bring the team with a natural ability for rally the squad to achieve a common goal.