Product Design Engineer (cycling industry)
Posted by Wheels Manufacturing on 09/05/2019
Industry Sector: Bike
Job Categories: Design - Engineer, Design - Product, Manufacturing
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $70,000 +
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Product design and development
• Contribute technical and creative insight for new product ideas and iterative changes to existing product.
• Maintain or aid in the development of PDD tools
• Work with Product Manager to coordinate lab testing with manufacturers or 3rd party suppliers to test, qualify, and document products within the applicable industry and regulatory standards.
• Help create and follow product timelines to ensure milestones are met and the product is delivered according to schedule.
• Communicate effectively with domestic and international manufacturers, vendors, and suppliers; internal and external testing groups; and customer service and sales departments.
• Develop tolerance schemes and inspection processes to control the quality of product during production.
• Ensure product meets development standards through ride and lab testing.
Research and Development:
• Perform design studies and calculations to support R&D pre-kickoff product definitions. Complete development projects to prove R&D technologies prior to implementation.
• Create, innovate and invent new products to solve problems for mechanics and bicyclists, and to fulfill unmet needs in the bicycle industry.
• Determine necessary qualification and testing measures during iterative product changes.
• Create and execute development testing as necessary to support new product development.
• Complete market research to monitor industry trends, new technologies, and rider preferences; and share these results with the team.
Product & Brand support
• Collaborate with marketing to produce technical content for specific products including instructions, product technical information, concept renderings, or blogs.
• Monitor and review warranty claims to identify systemic problems, as well as provide technical support to the customer service agents.
--Above is not an exhaustive List. Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering required
• 3+ years of Mechanical Engineering work experience
• Strong mechanical aptitude and design creativity.
• SolidWorks or other 3D software experience: 3D Modeling (including assemblies and surfacing) and 2D Drawings. Intermediate to Advanced SolidWorks user, including assemblies, surfacing, and drawings
• Strong organizational and time-management skills with proven ability to manage multiple deadlines without substantial oversight.
• Ability to use the computer extensively
• Ability and willingness to test and evaluate a variety of cycling products in sometimes extreme conditions, including cold and wet.
• Ability and willingness to travel domestic and international 2 – 6 weeks per year.
• Ability to drive a car/van/truck and be a Wheels Manufacturing approved driver
Secondary Qualifications (these are a plus, but not required):
• Experience with CAE, or FEA Analysis.
• Experience working with a PDM or PLM system.
• Experience with ISO 4210.
• Manufacturing experience in Welding, Forming, Machining, Assembly, and/or Heat treatment.
• Experience with engineering process and quality controls.
• 2+ years of experience in the outdoor goods industry, or equivalent personal cycling experience.