Graphic Production Artist
Posted by Ruff Wear on 09/15/2020
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Graphic
Company Type: Accessories, Recreation, Retail
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: Telecommute
Job Description & Requirements
Graphic Production Artist
Bend, Oregon (Temporarily Remote)
At Ruffwear, we believe success goes beyond making great gear. Started as a one-person endeavor in 1994, Ruffwear has gained the support of dogs and humans around the world and is one of Outside Magazine's 100 Best Places to Work. Known for innovative products that help people and dogs of all abilities enjoy outdoor spaces together, our “pack” values diverse thinking and voices from different backgrounds. We appreciate a willingness to take intentional risks that promote creativity, strengthen customer relationships, and reduce our impact on the planet. Our privately held company reinvests profits back into our business to keep it sustainable and nimble, and we partner with organizations like The Conservation Alliance to help protect the lands and waterways where canines and humans connect and thrive. Based in Bend, Oregon, we test our products and explore with our own dogs among our nearby forests, rivers, and mountains. Our headquarters recently underwent an innovative renovation to provide a workspace that enhances the wellbeing and creativity of our pack. Our warm and collaborative atmosphere fosters the sharing of ideas through respectful and stimulating dialogue and helps us implement new initiatives with gusto.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is able to work remotely for an unspecified amount of time with a longer-term goal to be based in Bend.
Under the direction of the Creative Director, the Graphic Production Artist will assist the design team by turning the Graphic Designer’s concepts into final graphics for internal and external collateral, visual merchandising, packaging, trade show, and advertising projects that support Ruffwear’s mission of building performance dog gear to enhance and inspire exploration for outdoor adventurers and their human companions.
A successful production artist must possess a mix of both creative and technical skills and is responsible for carrying out the execution of design concepts that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate closely with Creative Director and Graphic Designer to build final artwork for seasonal communications, including:
- Digital and printed workbooks and catalogs.
- Website and email communications.
- Signage and displays for trade shows and consumer events.
- Dealer tools, retail training assets, and supporting materials for the Sales Team.
- Merchandising displays, planograms, promo materials, POP signage, and in-store graphics.
- Work with Photographer and Videographer to prepare files for GIF animations.
- Maintain consistent branding and creative look and feel across all platforms and communication vehicles following the Ruffwear Branding Style Guide.
- Ask questions, gather requirements, and apply design thinking to all productions.
- Provide color correction, image retouching, clipping paths, and additional image manipulation as needed.
- Review graphics, layouts, colors, fonts, and formats to ensure accuracy.
- Package and preflight files for release and distribution, conducting press checks when needed.
- Manage, format, upload, and organize all visual assets in the online Media Library.
- Propose continuous process improvements to maximize the effectiveness for the team.
- Create and maintain internal business tools, such as business cards, letterhead, and sales meeting support.
- Provide Sales and Company Meeting support by ensuring all slide decks are up to brand standards and are properly formatted.
- Apply updates to seasonal packaging, ensuring that it is accurate, consistent, and error-free..
- Maintain packaging files and keep current and organized.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Occasional domestic travel possible
Required Education and Experience
This position is the final checkpoint in the creative design process, ensuring work is produced on time, on brand, under tight deadlines, with multiple projects and shifting priorities. Working collaboratively with a variety of cross-functional teams, they will be equal parts problem-solver, brand advocate, and visual artist.
Candidates must have a strong online portfolio showcasing production work that spans from print to digital mediums, such as signage, catalogs, social media, email, and websites.
- Associate’s degree or higher in graphic design or related field.
- 3+ years experience in branding and digital/visual design.
- A combination of years of experience and education may be taken into consideration.
Software + Technical Skills:
- Expert production skills with a solid understanding of layout principles, color theory, and typography.
- Exceptional visual and technical troubleshooting skills, with the ability to find solutions independently.
- Full comprehension and proficiency in graphics-industry software including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign, and Adobe Acrobat, with strong skills in design, image editing, color correcting, and basic HTML.
- Knowledge of automation, actions, and scripting in Adobe Creative Suite to speed workflows and help the design process be more efficient.
- Expert working knowledge of printing processes, preparing and packaging design files for print and distribution.
- Superior understanding in designing for digital media (websites, emails, social media, online advertising).
- Working knowledge of Apple operating systems and Google tools, such as Slides, Sheets, and Docs.
- Must stay up to date with new production techniques, software enhancements, and trends through research and education.
Interpersonal + Team Skills:
- Great team player who is open to constructive design direction and feedback.
- Must be adaptable to change and comfortable with ambiguity, driving for clarity when needed.
- Outstanding organization and project management skills.
- An ability to produce a wide range of design projects quickly with high precision.
- Self-motivated, curious, and eager to learn, produce and collaborate in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and efficiently complete multiple projects to meet shifting needs and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and team skills to interface with a broad range of co-workers, departments, external vendors, printers, and designers.
- Sharp attention to detail and quality control, ensuring designs are executed correctly.
- Passion for dogs and first-hand understanding of the interactive bond between canines and humans.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 5+ years of branding, graphic design, or production artist experience in a creative agency or outdoor industry brand.
- Knowledge of SketchUp or 3D rendering application.
- Experience with Adobe After Effects and animation/motion graphics.
- Working knowledge of the content experience platform, Foleon, or the willingness to learn.
- Experience with project management and organizational platforms such as Asana and Bynder for Media Library upkeep.
- Adobe Creative Suite certification.
- Working knowledge of UX, UI, website, and responsive design with experience using Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Package design and structural engineering experience.
- Experience in the outdoor and/or consumer products industry.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities of the employee to do this job.
About Ruff Wear
Business Unusual. At Ruffwear, we believe success goes beyond making great gear. Started as a one-person endeavor in 1994, Ruffwear has gained the support of dogs and humans around the world, and is one of Outside Magazine's 100 Best Places to Work. Known for innovative products that help people and dogs of all abilities enjoy outdoor spaces together, our "pack" values diverse thinking and voices from different backgrounds. We appreciate a willingness to take intetional risks that promote creativity, strengthen customer relationships, and reduce our impact on the planet. Our privately held company reinvests profits back into our business to keep it sustainable and nimble, and we partner with organizations like The Conservation Alliance to help protect the lands and waterways where canines and humans connect and thrive. Based in Bend, Oregon, we test our products and explore with our own dogs among our nearby forests, rivers, and mountains.