People & Culture Manager
Posted by Backroads on 02/09/2021
Industry Sector: Bike
Job Categories: Human Resources
Company Type: TravelandTourism
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
People & Culture Manager
You are that perfect blend of process oriented, analytical thinker, and ‘people person’. You love managing people, you have no fear of numbers and you crave to understand why you’re doing something vs. just doing it. You know the ins and outs of labor laws, benefits, and HR systems, and you understand the connection between the excellent support you provide to employees, and company culture. You’re one of those people who always knows the right thing to say when presented with a problem and you can deliver your response with calming confidence. You bring solid skills and experience to the job and you quickly become a go-to resource and partner to all levels of employees. You are accountable, take initiative, and people can always count on you to do a great job, no matter the task.
Backroads is the world’s leading active travel company and we’re simultaneously scaling our capacity to delight more guests, improving the quality of what we deliver, and enhancing our amazing company culture. We believe in creating experiences on the road less traveled. We think that exploring a landscape through your own power (bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company (we’ve been around since 1979) and like to work in a tightly knit, collaborative and dynamic environment where you’ll have ownership of your areas, then you’ll fit right in! Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment. This is a full-time Berkeley, California-based role.
About the Job
In this newly created role, which reports to our Assistant Director of People & Culture, you will work in a variety of areas (compliance, compensation, employee programs, culture, etc) in ways that make employees work lives better and easier to navigate and allows them to feel connected to Backroads’ strong company culture. You work hard behind the scenes so that employees feel supported and identify a smooth and seamless experience interacting with the People & Culture team. You’ll oversee many areas of HR compliance and budgeting as well as manage the payroll and administrative team. You will strive to keep the HR stuff fun, easy and intuitive for employees.
About the Department
At Backroads our people are our most cherished resource. The People & Culture department puts people first in a way that supports both our employees and the business. In addition to compliance, benefits, compensation, payroll and other employee programs, People & Culture team members may also contribute to other company initiatives such as:
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Environmental and Sustainability programs
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives and training
- Talent development
- Fun & morale boosting events such as casual happy hours in our courtyard.
The ideal candidate for this role cares about these types of programs and may work on some elements.
Roles and Responsibilities
Compliance, Reporting & Budgeting
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of HR legal requirements and best practices, and make relevant policy recommendations to ensure compliance
- Coordinate various government reporting requirements
- Coordinate and contribute to quarterly budgeting exercises
- Track and report to managers on key metrics
- Conduct internal pay equity reviews, market salary research, COLA and CPI research
- Coordinate the annual pay increase process and associated compensation communication
- Participate in evolution of compensation, bonus, commissions, and incentive programs
- Review and approve semi-monthly payroll
- Partner closely with our Benefits Coordinator
- Manage some areas of benefits such as workers’ compensation insurance, employee leave programs, unemployment claims
- Serve as safety officer; manage IIPP, ergonomics, disaster protocols, etc
- Assist with employee relation issues
- Support Assistant Director of People & Culture with other projects as needed
EXPERIENCE & REQUIRED SKILLS
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of human resources experience in a growing, mid-size company with a strong focus on payroll, compensation, HRIS, workers comp and leave management. Multi-state experience required.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of California, Utah, and Federal labor laws. International labor law experience (particularly Canada and France) helpful, but not required.
analytical, problem solving, and budgeting skills, strong business acumen, incredibly
- Strong initiative. We
are looking for a self-starter who successfully sees projects through to completion.
- Proficiency with MS Office and advanced Excel skills required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- PHR or similar certification preferred.
- Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time.
At Backroads, we believe that traveling under your own power and at your own pace opens up an opportunity to connect more meaningfully with the world. Our mission is to provide a travel experience so transformative that you’ll never want to travel in any other way. We provide amazing support on meticulously planned itineraries with superb accommodations so you can be totally present enjoying your adventure.