Business Unit Director Apparel
Posted by Black Diamond Retail, Inc. on 02/10/2021
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Apparel
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
City: Salt Lake City
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Black Diamond is a company of users. We stand for the spirit of the sports we live. We're the greatest dreamers about what could be, and the harshest of critics about what exists. Our passion, dedication, and diligence is what drives our team to relentlessly design, engineer and build the world's best mountain equipment. Bound by our passion for climbing, skiing and mountain adventure, our team's limitless energy and hands-on involvement continues to create a promising future for all climbers, skiers, and mountain enthusiasts worldwide.
With our ongoing success in the world of climbing gear, Black Diamond is in search of an experienced Business Unit Director to lead the Climbing team in our continued growth. The Business Unit Director needs to have an intimate understanding of all disciplines of climbing and a proven track record as a successful business leader. As the leader of the product team the Business Unit Director needs to be able to collaborate with the product line manager and entire technical design team as well as marketing, sales, athletes and various external customers such as media, retailers, and end-consumers.
The Business Unit Director is responsible for creating strategic direction and oversight for applicable Black Diamond global product categories with accountability for strategic business and product launch planning, global product line management, product development leadership, and delivery of activity and consumer driven product initiatives.
#STRATEGIC BUSINESS PLANNING
- Facilitates and creates category business plans incorporating Black Diamond Equipment business objectives and goals for revenue and margin.
- Provides overall category direction and vision consistent with Brand's direction.
- Identifies market potential by defining category size and growth trends.
- Evaluates with Sales current and potential distribution opportunities.
- Works in tandem with OEM partners to identify, establish, and coordinate special sales programs including training and monitors market trends and identifies areas for new product extensions or category development.
- Conducts thorough research to clarify product and consumer needs.
- Collaborates with marketing and other leaders to drive communications and collateral consistent with product/brand direction.
- Leads the team to meet business unit targets.
- Responsible for the budget of the business unit.
- Responsible for the overall business unit performance.
#PRODUCT LINE MANAGEMENT
- Responsible for creation of product lines that support business unit and brand objectives.
- Creates unique product positioning strategies that create meaningful differentiation within the market.
- Provides clear product line segmentation that is consistent with consumer, athlete and distribution/channel needs.
- Works closely with global sales teams to identify opportunities for product line improvements, OEM partnerships, etc.
- Responsible for creating comprehensive briefs to guide the design and development of new product initiatives.
- Establishes product cost targets with product team to ensure all costing objectives are achieved; responsible for meeting cost and margin targets.
- Maintains sku efficiency by monitoring success of each product and proposing corrective actions.
- Leads seasonal line review process with sales, SCM, and marketing; communicates plans for product launch dates and phase out of declining / DM product.
- Provide initial forecast and monitor/update forecast with sales management until production.
- Lead product development team in support of business unit and brand objectives. Owns the New Product Introduction process from concept through go-to-market.
- Work with product team throughout the product process to create product that meets all criteria of the product brief.
- Proactively coach and develop a team of product professionals focused on innovative thinking and product creation.
- Maintain and creatively use knowledge of competitor's strategies, products, strengths and weaknesses to position Black Diamond Equipment as market leader.
- Work with the product team in conjunction with Innovation team to continually position Black Diamond as the product innovator in the categories we participate.
- Coordinates and presents category strategy and product line at appropriate reviews.
- Presentation of product line and product features/benefits (domestically and internationally) at Sales Meeting to sales reps and Key Accounts.
- Provide direction for marketing collateral and advertising, consistent with brand and product strategy.
- Responsible for organizing meetings with marketing and sales to present seasonal product concepts and prototypes, to solicit timely internal feedback.
- Perform product presentations, when necessary to retail accounts and/or sales reps to explain category direction and receive marketplace feedback.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Sales, Engineering or other related field.
- Preferred: An MBA with applicable focus.
- Required: 5-7 years' experience in product line management, product marketing, and strong knowledge of design and development processes within the outdoor industry or related consumer product industry, plus 5 years management leading a high performing team.
- Preferred: 8+ years of increasing product line and business unit management experience. Proven brand and product marketing track record with innovative, technical, and consumer focused products. Proven ability to lead with market relevant insights to product introductions & product line extensions.
Skills and General Experience:
- Strong functional product knowledge and creative ability/experience is highly desirable along with deep knowledge of technical apparel industry trends, competitors, and overall category, sport, and cultural influences.
- Passport a and Valid driver's license.
At BD, benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability, as well as other wellness benefits, 401k, vacation and wellness time off, and company paid holidays. If that isn't enough, we are also a pet-friendly workplace with a casual dress code! If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy employee discounts on BD gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.