TITLE: Industrial Designer
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York (BioLite is currently in an all-remote capacity due to COVID-19.)
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Industrial Design
COMPENSATION: Salary is comparable to other early-stage companies, and includes benefits like fully covered healthcare, company bonus plan, and equity stock options.
BioLite is a for-profit social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets distributed energy solutions for off-grid communities around the world. Our business serves two distinct markets, developing-world families living in energy poverty, and outdoor enthusiasts seeking off-grid cooking, charging and lighting products.
BioLite believes in a bright and safe future for all, and that includes life at work. BioLite is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we aim to enable everyone to show up as their full selves. An inclusive environment and culture makes our solutions better and our entire team smarter. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
We are looking for an Industrial Designer to join the product development group. You will report directly to the Associate Director of Industrial Design. You will be responsible for translating user insights and market requirements into product form and features. With the support of an exceptional engineering staff, your contributions will help create new product solutions, from concept to full realization in the marketplace, that are established in people's actual needs.
- Translate user insights and market requirements into form and features through sketches, interaction flow charts, prototypes, detailed CAD models, and advanced renderings.
- Grasp the context and complexities of our customer's lives, express those insights clearly, and translate them into product features for a diverse, experienced group of engineers.
- Partner with engineering team members to validate assumptions, test designs, and understand user data.
- Take a very hands-on approach; you believe a prototype reveals things that theory cannot. You are fast and skilled in a workshop; you love cardboard, hot glue and yellow foam.
- Take risks; you can accept, process, and learn from your failures for the betterment of your work.
- Feel comfortable in spaces that are not well defined and desire to establish new patterns in design and technology.
- 3+ years of experience in a professional work environment, preferably in-house and in consumer products i.e. housewares, lighting, tools and gadgets, consumer electronics.
- Experience in human centered design and research processes - you understand that the people we are designing for are a map to innovative solutions.
- A well developed practicum for applying the principles of design, such as balance, unity, and pattern.
- Strong 2D skills like hand sketching, illustrator and Photoshop rendering.
- A high level of proficiency in Solidworks and Keyshot
- Experience using workshop equipment like 3D printers, band and table saws, painting booths, and hand tools
- Expertise in manufacturing and assembly technologies commensurate to 3+ years of experience; to BioLite this means:
- Be able to communicate design intent to engineering staff effectively
- Have the ability to modify and defend a design through the lens of safety, manufacturability, timeline and cost constraints with guidance of senior engineering staff
- Associates/BA/BS from accredited institution in Industrial Design or commensurate coursework in computer aided design, 3D sculpting, and sketching
We will not review incomplete applications for this position.
To apply please submit:
- A digital portfolio (PDF or portfolio website)
- A brief cover letter that tells us about yourself and why you're a good fit for this role
- A professional resume
WHY JOIN BiOLITE?
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- PTO and family leave
- Community bonus plan and equity stock options.
- Adventure Stipend (after two years)
- Community engagement activities - we celebrate each other's wins and work as a team!