Director of Design and Development
Posted by Black Diamond Retail, Inc. on 02/15/2021
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Management - Product -Brand
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
City: Salt Lake City
Country: United States
Required Experience: 7 - 10 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: 130000-140000/Yearly Salary
Required to Relocate: No
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Director of Design and Development is responsible for the business unit's
design and product development staff and the effectiveness of their efforts to
manage and execute on new and/or improved BDEL products. The Director of Design
and Development will oversee the Product Team's work, empowering individuals to
maximize their individual contribution while providing any necessary mediation
required to ensure projects meet category goals.
This person will work very closely and collaboratively with the Business Unit Director, category PLM(s), Product Team and QA to guide projects in a way that appropriately balances the design, commercialization, and business needs for each product.
This person will work closely with Business Unit Director and category PLM to determine appropriate resource allocation for each season's new projects and is responsible for workload allocation for the members of the Product team. The Director of Design and Development is a significant step in the career ladder within the product area.
- Work with all business unit team members (particularly the Business Unit Director and category PLM) to make sure the category vision and goals are established and well communicated to the Product Team.
- Manage recruiting process for business unit Product Team with direct assistance from cross functional team members.
- Responsible for management and development of the business unit Product Team staff including conducting performance reviews, mentoring, goal setting, coordinating training activities, and facilitating individual project progress (where appropriate)
- Work with each Industrial Designer, Design Engineer and Product Developer to support and empower him/her to perform their individual work function to the best of their ability along with efforts to continuously improve.
- When and where necessary, provide mediation during the product creation process to ensure the project outcome aligns with the project brief and the business unit's overall strategy and mission.
- In consultation with Business Unit Director and category PLM, assign appropriate Product Team resources to new product projects, including coordinating work with outside design consultants and firms (when appropriate)
- Analyze resources needed for new and on-going Product Team issues; report to, advise and update senior leadership appropriately.
- Work closely with Sourcing and Supply Chain to identify and onboard new vendors to support product innovation.
- Ensure the Product team is in alignment with Black Diamond's strategic goals.
- Required: Bachelor's Degree in Operations Management, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Preferred: A Bachelor's degree in any discipline combined with work experience in the design, development or manufacture of consumer products, especially technical products.
- Required: Minimum of 8 years of product design or development.
- Preferred: Experience managing and leading a team.
Skills and General Experience:
- Comprehensive understanding of product design and global manufacturing enterprises combined with the leadership traits and communication skills required to excel in this environment. Demonstrated technical proficiency and direct management and/or project leadership skills. These will include personal success in product creation as well as a positive leadership experiences in directing and mentoring other skilled product teams.
- Extensive knowledge of specific manufacturing techniques such as, machining, forging, forming, casting, plastic injection molding, lamination, cut & sew, knitting, braiding, and weaving. Experience with quality systems, lean manufacturing techniques, sourcing and vendor qualification, product design, cost management, MRP and global logistics is desired.
- Strong leadership, collaboration and negotiation skills are required. Thorough knowledge of MS office tools required. Must be able to understand the product and provide critical feedback on product function. Experience and knowledge of rock climbing, back country skiing, and mountaineering are very beneficial.
- At least 10 years' experience in a related field combined with a thorough global knowledge base and work experience in technical product design, development, testing and development and experience in direct management and/or leadership skills.
- Valid driver's license and passport.
At BD, benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability, as well as other wellness benefits, 401k, vacation and wellness time off, and company paid holidays. If that isn't enough, we are also a pet-friendly workplace with a casual dress code! If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy employee discounts on BD gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.