Texas A&M Commerce Outdoor Adventure Graduate Assistant
Posted by Texas A&M Commerce Outdoor Adventure on 03/22/2021
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Outdoor Education
Company Type: School/Military
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Contact Name: Justin Bryant
Contact Phone: 9038865849
Job Type: Part Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
A&M-Commerce Campus Recreation is looking for a dynamic Graduate Assistant for 2021-2023. The mission of our graduate assistantship program is to foster the development of upcoming recreational professionals by immersing them in a holistic, experiential, and hands-on recreation experience.
This is a two-year commitment with a renewable agreement pending a successful evaluation at the end of the first academic year. Graduate Assistants are required to maintain a minimum of a 3.0-grade point average each semester and progress towards a graduate degree.
We aspire to create an environment where we celebrate the differences we share across the spectrum of human diversity. Inclusivity is vital to an individual’s holistic development and the social fabric of the university. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment through hiring and developing culturally competent staff members, outreaching to under-served populations, and providing facilities and programs that support all members of the A&M-Commerce community. Our expectation of the A&M-Commerce community is to embrace an open-minded and respectful attitude toward individual difference.
Graduate assistantships available:
- Outdoor Adventure (1) – Review will begin April 6
Start Date: August 9, 2021
School Starts: August 30, 2021
Compensation and Benefit Package
- Tuition coverage (Graduate, Statutory, and Designated)Eligible for both in-state/out-of-state student
- Eligible for six to thirteen credit hours a semester (Fall and Spring semesters only)
- Campus Rec will also pay for Distance Learning Fee, University Services, and Recreation Center Fee for fall and spring semesters.
- You are responsible for the cost of all other student fees (Athletic, Union Center, Student Service, and Health).
- Health benefits (if taken)
= 9-Month GA Employment
o Paid bi-weekly at $15 an hour, 20 hours per week when school is in session. Pending a successful end of year evaluation, pay increase to $16 an hour for second year.
o In addition, 40 hours per week during August preparation for fall semester and during January preparation for spring semester (when not taking classes)
= Summer Employment Opportunities
o Facility Operations and Marketing GA’s: Employment expected during the summer between year one and two (paid hourly at $15/hour) for program assistant level work
o Outdoor Adventure, Intramural and Club Sports, Fitness GA’s: Additional employment opportunities are available if desired during the summer time (paid hourly per student staff position rates) for non-GA level positions
= $2,000 yearly funding for department development including NIRSA Region IV/Student Lead-On, NIRSA Annual Conference, AORE Conference, certifications, tournaments, and other development opportunities.
= One student membership to a professional organization
Common Graduate Programs and Requirements
General Department Job Responsibilities for all Graduate Assistants
- Support and align with department mission, vision, values, and strategic plan
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contribute to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Attend professional and student staff meetings
- Serve on various department committees
- Provide oversight of program area in the absence of supervisor
- Work night and weekend hours (as needed, based on area)
- Other duties as assigned that assist with the overall mission of the department
Minimum Qualifications for Consideration
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated experience working in collegiate recreation, recreational program, or related program to the position
Conditions of Hire
- Contingent upon completing a satisfactory background check
- Once you’ve been offered, must then get full acceptance into the A&M Commerce Graduate School
Conditions of Employment
- Must have or obtain within 30 days American Red Cross/First-Aid/AED certification
Timeline and Application
= To be considered you must submit completed applications via Handshake.
= If you are a non TAMUC student, you must contact Bethany Ferrall (Bethany.firstname.lastname@example.org or 903-468-3223) to set up your Handshake account before you can apply. Search handshake code listed in each job description to apply for that position.
Outdoor Adventure Graduate Assistantship (9-month agreement)
- Assist the Assistant Director and Coordinator with hiring, training, and evaluating 20-25 Outdoor Adventure student employees.
- Assist in the operations, administration, and supervision of the OA facilities and programs including the climbing wall, gear rental, trip/clinic program, mountain bike trail, pump track, disc golf course and challenge course. Depending on qualifications and experience, work load may be shifted towards more relevant areas within the Outdoor Adventures program
- Assist in the budget process, including budget development, payroll projections, purchasing, etc.
- Assist in marketing of all program aspects.
- Assist in planning, budgeting, and leading trips as well as challenge course programming.
- Create and maintain semester staff schedules using online scheduling software (Sub It Up) to ensure entire facility has coverage and assume responsibility for filling in when necessary.
- Utilize Fusion to assist with tracking data, online registration, and scheduling of Outdoor Adventure programs.
- Assist in managing program area social media accounts.
Minimum Qualifications for Consideration:
- Experience working in an Outdoor Adventure program
- Possess extensive experience in two or more of the following: rock climbing, mountain biking, paddling, backpacking, challenge course facilitation, or camping
- ACA Instructor, AMGA/PCIA certifications, ARC CPR/First Aid/AED, IMBA ICP
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite, namely Word and Excel
Conditions of Employment:
- Must have or obtain within 30 days a valid Texas Driver’s License
- Must have or obtain Wilderness First Responder Certification
Contact for Outdoor Adventure Graduate Assistantship: Justin Bryant, Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventure at Justin.email@example.com
Handshake Code: 4539109
About Texas A&M Commerce Outdoor Adventure
Texas A&M University-Commerce's Outdoor Adventure program seeks to provide superior adventure and educational opportunities promoting active lifestyles, appreciation for the natural environment, and personal development. We seek to inspire people through outdoor experiences, encourage groups to discover new things, and challenge individuals to grow.