Manager-Outdoor Specialty Retail
Posted by Great Outdoor Shop on 09/06/2021
Industry Sector: Action, Fishing, Fitness, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow, WaterSports
Job Categories: Management, Management - Sales, Management - Team, Retail - Management- Staff
Company Type: Accessories, Apparel/SoftGoods, Events, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation, Retailer, Service, Retail, TravelandTourism
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Contact Name: Josh or Laura Hattan
Business Phone: 307-367-2440
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Salary: Starting range is $35,000-45,000 annually plus benefits, depending on experience
Education/Experience: 1-3 years outdoor industry retail sales experience
Job Title: Retail Manager, reports to Owner
Job Type: Full-time, Year-round
Great Outdoor Shop has been a staple in the Wind River Range backcountry adventure scene for nearly 50 years. This full-service, year-round outdoor shop blends backpacking, climbing, and fishing in the summer with skiing and snowboarding in the winter months. Seated in the very heart of downtown Pinedale, Wyoming, the shop is situated in the middle of the largest mountain range in Wyoming, providing immediate access to unrivaled, world-class outdoor recreation. We are a small shop with a big heart, a commitment to our community, and outstanding customer service. We are a family of outdoor enthusiasts, all with different backgrounds and interests, and we love to share our passions with visitors and locals alike. Our top priority is providing an unsurpassed experience for our customers. We’ve been inspiring adventurers everywhere since 1976, and would love for you to join our close-knit team.
We are looking for a friendly and engaging, outdoor-passionate, and customer experience-oriented Retail Manager to join our dynamic and fun team. Previous outdoor industry retail experience is required to apply.
A Retail Manager is responsible for maintaining a highly effective sales staff and sales floor environment. They provide training and support for sales staff as well as maintaining inventory, sales floor product levels and presentation standards. They are responsible for maintaining effective working relationships amongst all staff.
· Pay Range: $35,000-45,000 annually plus benefits, depending on experience
· Paid time off: 2 weeks a year.
· Health insurance benefit eligibility
· Ski Pass, and first year non-resident fishing license
· Professional development opportunities
· Growth opportunities
· Shop-specific training and development
· Great discounts and employee purchase eligibility
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for every aspect of sales department operations
· Set professional tone for the entire sales department and maintain strong employee morale
· High-level sales ability, and strong knowledge base of a wide variety of outdoor products
· Ensure sales floor and fixtures are clean, and merchandising is clean and organized, with product displays resembling high level merchandising practices
· Remerchandise store on regular basis to create fresh layout for frequently visiting customers
· Maintain organized back stock, and re-stocking of all product
· Assist buyers with, and/or execute refill orders to maintain proper stock levels based on time of season
· Receive replenishment and distribute special orders
· Maintain inventory accuracy and conduct inventory cycle counts
· Provide regular product and development training for sales staff
· Delegate on-going and special tasks
· Assist other sales staff when they are struggling with a difficult customer or sales situation
· Inform sales staff regarding policies, policy changes, and procedures, and procedure changes
· Maintain and uphold the sales/rental department policies and procedures
· Ensure adequate level of office, bathroom, and front of house supplies
· Ensure that proper safety practices are being followed
· Handle customer complaints to a positive outcome
· Ensure customer service standards are being met
· Reward and coach employees
· Assist in creation and distribution of staff schedule
· Monitor e-commerce sales and shipments
· Work with e-commerce retail listings throughout the season
· Work with our marketing manager and retail staff to create web content such as trip reports, gear reviews, fun videos etc.
Skills and Traits:
· Enthusiasm, hustle, and passion for some of the activities (backpacking, climbing, fly fishing, trail running, skiing, snowboarding, etc.) and products we represent in the store
· Professional with staff, customers, and community
· Problem solver nature
· Strong verbal communication skills
· Strong organizational skills
· Strong leadership and team working skills
· Strong record keeping skills
· Ability to calculate figures and amounts
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial, productivity, labor, and sales reports, actuals, etc.
· Ability to solve problems in various situations
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
· Outgoing, enthusiastic, sociable
· Ability to remain positive when faced with adversity
· Strong interpersonal relationship skills
· Coaching skills
You may apply online at www.greatoutdoorshop.com/employment. Please include a detailed resume with your application.
About Great Outdoor Shop
We have been inspiring adventurers everywhere since 1976.
The Great Outdoor Shop is located in Pinedale, at the heart of Wyoming's largest mountain range, the Wind River Range. The Winds claim 19 of Wyoming's 20 highest peaks, with Gannett Peak topping the list at 13, 804'. There are more than 400,000 acres of Federally-designated Wilderness, over 180 active glaciers (including the largest glacier in the American Rockies), and over 3,000 alpine lakes accessible by 9 different trailheads within close proximity to town. Pinedale is Wyoming's first Continental Divide Trail Gateway Community. Each summer we host the Wind River Mountain Festival and the Surly Pika Adventure Race. Each winter, we host The Drift, a winter race series, which includes the highest elevation winter ultramarathon in the US.
The Great Outdoor Shop caters to backpackers, anglers, climbers, skiers and snowboarders. Our sister store, Two Rivers Fishing Company is exclusive to fly-fishing and guided trips.