Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted by Burley Design on 09/28/2022
Industry Sector: Bike, Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Engineer
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
There is a feeling you get every time you ride a bike. Pedals spinning, wind whipping your hair, joy shining on your face. Suddenly, your bike is a vehicle of possibility. A means to do more, see more, be more. To move your way, no matter where you are headed. You are free and yet connected to your world like never before.
At Burley, the joy and possibility in every ride moves us to make more rides possible. From the worry-free gear we design to the bike causes we support; we make it easier for you to get out there and do more by bike.
Burley. Ride Your Way.
From everyday errands to extraordinary expeditions, Burley has helped folks do more by bike since 1978. Based in Eugene, Oregon, Burley designs trusted, versatile bike equipment for carrying everything you need and love. Our family-owned company is committed to building a more bikeable world and making it easier for generations of riders, adventures, and explorers to ride their way.
Doing More by Bike Since 1978
Our product development team is expanding, and we are currently looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team in that effort.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer for Burley Design, you will have an influential role guiding and developing concepts into manufacturable products across our product line. You will work collaboratively across the product development team to develop and align engineering practices, mentor, and coach other engineers, and ensure all products effectively merge aesthetic form, usability, and mechanical performance factors.
Expect to work on a variety of products that include bicycle trailers, components, and accessories. The ideal candidate will be driven, passionate, self-motivated, and collaborative at their core. They will have strong problem-solving skills, an in-depth understanding of manufacturing processes, and a proven track record of taking projects from concept through production for complex multipart assemblies.
As the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will have three primary responsibilities:
Product Design and Development
• Develop, visualize, and communicate product concepts through sketching, modeling, and rapid prototyping in collaboration with Industrial Design.
• Lead the development of conceptual ideas into physical form ensuring manufacturability by utilizing 3D Modeling, physical prototyping, and testing
• Creates 3D models and assemblies, perform analysis, create part and assembly drawings, and engineering BOMs
• Performs and participates in thorough design reviews with cross functional teams, including DFMEAs, DFM, and other tools during design and development process.
• Effectively work with contract manufacturers during all product development phases to bring concepts into production. Including specifying appropriate materials, tooling and gauge design, and defining manufacturing requirements and processes.
• Collaborate with manufacturers and key stakeholders to ensure that the product meets all project parameters including user experience, performance metrics, costing, and timeline.
• Collaborate with Test Engineering to develop and conduct performance and lab testing procedures that effectively guide refinement of product concepts, and the qualification of the product to governing standards.
• Lead the engineering part review of costed BOMs for part and material specification accuracy, and provides analysis on costing based on design, material, and manufacturing specifications
• Participates in, leads, and conducts multiple research and development projects per year
• Key contributor in the identification of sustaining projects and opportunities
• Collaborates with Quality Engineer to evaluate and trouble shoot customer service and field issues. Identifies issue resolution and process
• Leads the development of design revisions with engineering team
• Monitors sustaining project timelines, and collaborates with internal team and manufactures to implement and track changes
• Ensures thorough documentation of the product changes through engineering change process
Product Team Leadership and Support:
• This position will have informal team leadership responsibilities including the coaching and mentorship of engineering staff in the development of all Burley products, use of product visualization and documentation tools.
• Provides technical product guidance to Industrial Design, Quality, and Marketing on the development of product manuals, packaging, and labels.
• Represent the organization as the lead technical expert on Burley product, and ensures all technical product specifications are provided to key stakeholders is accurate and up to date
• Maintains a thorough working knowledge Burley’s products and our key competitors
• Maintains expertise of all applicable regulatory standards, and provide guidance on how they affect design
• Leads the development and maintenance of the in-house prototyping equipment as needed
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
• 7+ years of full-time experience in a Design Engineering or Mechanical Engineering position
• Experience mentoring and coaching junior and mid-level engineering staff
• Track record of New Product Development and launching products on-time, on-cost, on-budget, and on-specification
• Proficient understanding of manufacturing processes including extrusion, metal forming, welding, casting, machining, and injection molding
• Proficiency in SolidWorks, including concept, part, assembly, and advanced surfacing methods.
• Proficiency in GD&T, and 2D and 3D Design Documentation practices
• Ability to communicate and collaborate with international development partners
• Ability and desire to learn bicycle mechanics and assembly
• Ability and passion to build and create physical prototypes
• A passion for work that is paralleled by your passion for getting outside and living it
• Self-motivated and detail orientated person
• Curiosity and Collaboration at their core
• Ability to use computer extensively
• Ability to periodically lift up to 50 lbs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Work areas are inside in a climate-controlled environment with moderate background noise.
• Travel up to 8 weeks per year (domestic and international) for trade shows, company events, customer visits, research, etc.
• The ability to use a keyboard, and to communicate orally and in writing is required.
• The ability to work extended hours as business needs dictate.
• Must be able to transport and set up product.
About Burley Design
Our vision is to build the next generation of riders, adventurers and explorers. This is our legacy, and we build it one day at a time by investing in our products, our people and our community.