Posted by Ruffwear on 11/30/2022
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Editorial-Video-Photo
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Job Type: Full-Time, Salaried
Location: Bend, OR (On-Site)
At Ruffwear, we believe success goes beyond making great gear. Started as a one-person endeavor in 1994, Ruffwear has gained the support of dogs and humans around the world and is one of Outside Magazine's 100 Best Places to Work. Known for innovative products that help people and dogs of all abilities enjoy outdoor spaces together, our “pack” values diverse thinking and voices from different backgrounds. We appreciate a willingness to take intentional risks that promote creativity, strengthen customer relationships, and reduce our impact on the planet. Our privately held company reinvests profits back into our business to keep it sustainable and nimble, and we partner with organizations like The Conservation Alliance to help protect the lands and waterways where canines and humans connect and thrive. Based in Bend, Oregon, we test our products and explore with our own dogs among our nearby forests, rivers, and mountains. Our headquarters recently underwent an innovative renovation to provide a workspace that enhances the wellbeing and creativity of our pack. Our warm and collaborative atmosphere fosters the sharing of ideas through respectful and stimulating dialogue and helps us implement new initiatives with gusto.
This position is responsible for capturing photographic images for use in communications that reinforce Ruffwear’s mission of building performance dog gear to enhance and inspire exploration for outdoor adventurers and their human companions. This role creates images for print, web, social, and retail display that tell Ruffwear's brand story from a dog's perspective and educate customers through product demonstrations and overviews.
- Maintain and update current asset standards as defined in Ruffwear's Photography Style Guide.
- Ensure consistent Ruffwear brand style while representing outdoor activities accurately and authentically (gear, location, action, etc.) through photography.
- Perform specialized photography in-house or on-location.
- Operate still cameras and other related equipment to ensure quality photos.
- Coordinate photoshoot planning and logistics, including location scouting, model searches, travel details, and product samples.
- Serve as point person for studio photography, develop shot lists based on asset needs, organize/ship samples, review/approve images, and facilitate the return of samples post-shoot.
- Maintain and organize photo sample inventory and order appropriate quantities of samples for both studio and lifestyle photography each season.
- Maintain a database of product and lifestyle images and model information on the company Media Library, ensuring images are saved in appropriate file versions/sizes.
- Serve as the main point-of-contact for internal and external image needs, coordinating with the Creative Services Manager to align project priorities.
- Support Ruffwear staff across departments for photo needs, including providing images for presentations, social media, retail displays, website, advertisements, etc.
- Maintain contracts and usage agreements for all external photography.
- Maintain and organize photo equipment and refresh, restore, and restock equipment and expendables, making suggestions for additional purchases when needed.
- Coordinate studio usage with Videographer when scheduling production time.
- Take photos at company meetings, functions, or events, as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting (Ruffwear office or home office as necessary). Must possess the ability to lift and maneuver equipment (up to 50 lbs) and work outdoors in inclement weather conditions for on-location projects.
Frequent domestic travel will be required for on-location photoshoots, trade shows, and marketing events.
Required Education and Experience
- 3+ years of photography experience, demonstrating a portfolio of images that are consistent with Ruffwear’s brand style and demonstrate an authentic outdoor presentation.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in staging and lighting for in-studio photography.
- Proficiency in Adobe CS Design Suite (Photoshop, Lightroom) to edit images for use in a variety of mediums.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with excellent attention-to-detail.
- Experience working with internal and external creative resources such as graphic designers, photographers, and print vendors.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Excellent project management, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Passion for dogs and first-hand understanding of the interactive bond between canines and humans.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 5+ years of experience in professional freelance or in-house photography.
- Associate’s Degree or college-level coursework in Photography or Visual Art.
- Experience in the outdoor and/or consumer products industry.
- Passion for the outdoors.
This position is available for local candidates already authorized to work in the country in which the position is based. Ruffwear is unable to sponsor work authorization for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ruffwear is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair treatment of our employees across culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender identity, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
For Ruffwear founder Patrick Kruse, exploring the outdoors has been a way of life since the beginning, whether by foot, bike, flying machine, or boat. And he has always searched for ways to include his canine sidekicks in all of his adventures.
Today, the performance dog gear company Patrick launched from his garage, Ruffwear, is present around the globe. Throughout our journey, we’ve remained true to our passion for enhancing and inspiring exploration for outdoor adventurers and their human companions.