Senior Industrial Designer
Posted by NEMO Equipment, Inc. on 02/20/2019
Industry Sector: Fishing, Hunting/Shooting, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow
Job Categories: Design - Product
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $70,000 +
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
NEMO was founded in 2002 with the commitment to bring the highest level of design and engineering to the world of outdoor adventure. In the company’s 17 years, it has been awarded many of the most prestigious design awards in the outdoor industry and has established brand recognition around the world. But despite the success of the brand, the team still has the spirit of a start-up, with a fully collaborative, highly creative, radically innovative approach that resembles a hungry, young company more than a well-established corporation.
NEMO is looking for an experienced, talented, highly motivated senior industrial designer to join the Product team. The right person will have exceptional skills at the drawing table, the CAD station, the prototyping shop and the sewing machine. A true love of making things. And a great intuitive understanding of mechanics coupled with a strong sensibility for aesthetics. Plus, a penchant for managing complex projects and keeping things organized.
The company is headquartered in a restored old textile mill on the Cocheco River in Dover, NH. The river cascades over a twenty foot waterfall right in front of the building and passes under the building through a huge archway, following the east side of the building before it meanders through town and off to the Piscataqua River and into Portsmouth Harbor. The office itself was designed by the founder and his architect father and includes a photo studio, woodshop, testing lab, rain chamber, sampling area, café, and bathrooms with showers. It features standing-height workstations, artwork and plants in every direction, a great sound system, and since they welcome dogs, there are always a few friendly canines around. Dover is a short distance from ultra-charming Portsmouth, NH and nearby surfing, and there’s plenty of hiking, rock/ice climbing, skiing, boating and fishing within an easy drive.
As a values-led business, NEMO has a deep commitment to social and environmental consciousness, sustainability, and outdoor adventure. An individual with a like-minded approach and personal affinity for the outdoors will be a strong cultural fit for the role.
- A few of the company’s most recent awards include:
- GOA Vendor Partner of the Year for 2018
- REI Vendor Partner of the Year for 2017
- Stargaze™Recliner Awarded 2017 Good Design® Award
- Helio™ LX Pressure Shower Awarded 2017 OutDoor Industry Award
- Concerto™ Awarded National Geographic Adventure's 2016 Gear of the Year
- Escape Pod™ 1P Bivy Awarded 2016 OutDoor Industry Award
- Tango™ Solo Awarded Gear of the Year, 2015, Outside Magazine
- Sonic™ Awarded Editors' Choice, Backpacker, 2015 Gear Guide
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Design Director and CEO to assist with NEMO product design vision as well as long term product line strategy.
- Create a strong working relationship with our factory partners overseas and communicate on a daily frequency. Travel when needed.
- Utilize research and observation to better understand user needs. Help to develop and nurture customer intelligence feedback loops through Sales and Marketing.
- Drive the commercialization of innovative technologies including new materials, constructions, and manufacturing techniques.
- Deploy project management best practices and Product Team SOP to meet Go To Market objectives and deliver on-time and in-full.
- Collaborate closely with other members of Product Team and patiently and effectively mentor Designers and Developers by sharing skills, knowledge and experience to build additional capability within the organization.
- Create patterns, mock-ups, and prototypes to prove new concepts. Become a master of shop and sample room tools and skills. Invest appropriate time and energy into prototypes, favoring iteration over preciousness.
- Provide detailed guidance and support to Product Development.
- Source, develop, and test new materials, construction methods, and technologies.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of NEMO materials and manufacturing techniques.
- Collaborate closely with other Product Team members to create new and better processes and procedures.
- Present work at internal reviews and annual sales meetings.
- Stay up to date with industry trends.
- Assist with current product design changes where necessary in order to address in-line production issues.
- Have meticulous attention to detail while also being able to maintain a big picture perspective and maintain a cohesive NEMO product collection.
- Incorporate our sustainability priorities into all work.
- Attend tradeshows and company events as required. Spend time and travel as required in order to understand our key foreign markets.
- Contribute in a positive manner to Company culture, striving to inspire passion for design, for quality, for craftmanship, for process, and for adventure.
- Bachelors or technical degree in industrial design or closely related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of design experience at an esteemed consumer product brand.
- Strong mechanical aptitude. Proven skill and passion for making things.
- Passion for the outdoors and outdoor gear.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Best-practice training in project management.
- Detail oriented, diligent and meticulous.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- Position may require extended work hours prior to concept reviews, tech package handoffs, and other product creation milestones.
- Must read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally up to 10%.
How to Apply:
for information on submitting your resume, portfolio and cover letter. Candidates that look to be a promising fit will be contacted as quickly as possible. We hope to hear from you soon!Please visit our website