Senior Product Designer
Posted by Kelty on 01/31/2019
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Product
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
KELTY is looking for a talented, passionate, outdoor lovin designer to join the product design team. Starting in the garage of Dick Kelty, the brand has humble beginnings dating back to 1952. KELTY has since become a trusted brand for backpacking and camping gear. No one believes in work hard, play hard more than KELTY. So, if youre ready to help push the boundaries of design and gear, check out the details below and apply to join us in the pursuit of outdoor awesomeness! You could be the lucky one! The Sr. Designer will lead and develop market disruptive, creative design concepts and solutions that address the specific product requirements as formalized in the design briefs. The Sr. Designer will develop new products under Keltys design principles which will coincide with Keltys overall brand strategy. They will report to the Sr. Creative Director to translate design concepts, sketches, drawings, and prototypes into the final product sample.
Required to design new products under Keltys design principles which will contain more specific design and pattern language that can be interpreted by developers and applied to products through their individual style and design ideology.
- Collaborate with the Sr. Creative Director to continually improve product design communications (related to product design) with domestic and overseas vendors.
- Identify and lead new processes and procedures that will help increase the efficiency of the product design to development cycle.
- Ability to communicate effective color strategies that can be applied to specific product lines, which and are consistent with Keltys overall color strategy. = Ensure an efficient communication process with development team.
- Required to keep up with the latest market trends, new technologies, and product requirements emerging from each of these markets.
- Ensure design communication skills (sketches, renderings, illustrations) are put together in an effective development package which can be sent overseas to begin the sampling portion of the product development cycle. The design package should be clear, understandable, and comprehensive which can be interpreted by an overseas vendor/product developer and translated into an accurate, functional prototype.
- Understand and interpret market and retailer trends and gain knowledge of competitors' products, pricing, styling, fabrications, and sales programs. = Must be able to clearly present product concepts, prototypes and samples to large groups.
- Travel to industry trade shows, development trips and retailer presentations.
- Ability to interpret product testing and evaluate the results in a way that improves a products functionality, style, quality, and success in the marketplace.
- Tests working prototypes to ensure any newly developed design features function as intended.
- Advises upper management immediately of all problems and problem trends; recommending possible actions that could correct the problem.
- Coach and mentors team members on a regular basis.
- Undergraduate degree, in Industrial Design
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in product design.
- Must be able to function effectively in a team first environment and earn the respect of team members through actions and contributions.
- Work well under pressure and managing multiple deadlines.
- Individual should possess an in-depth understanding and working knowledge of outdoor soft and/or hard goods.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop and Windows, Alias, Solid Works
- Takes personal responsibility, optimistic outlook, strong networking skills, and results oriented
- Must have knowledge of pattern making, apparel fitting and an understanding of technical manufacturing issues, to ensure an efficient communication process between developer, and sample maker.
- = Must be versed in the complexities of coatings, finishes, manufacturing processes, and applications of textiles, foams, composites, and metals.
- Must be able to travel (20%)
- Must have the design communication skills (sketches, renderings, illustrations) to put together an effective development package, which can be sent overseas to begin the sampling portion of the product development cycle.