Bicycle (Bike) Design Engineer
Posted by Radio Flyer Inc. on 02/25/2022
Industry Sector: Bike
Job Categories: Design - Engineer
Company Type: DoesnotApply
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Bicycle (Bike) Design EngineerWhile most people know us best for the beloved little red wagon, Radio Flyer is always dreaming up FUNomenal new ways to deliver joy to families by introducing new products every year. Radio Flyer is a recognized leader in the toy industry, headquartered in Chicago. From go-karts and scooters to kids’ bikes and the Lithium-Ion Tesla Model S for Kids, our Chicago-based team innovates in every product category we enter and we’re looking for talented individuals to join our award winning team!
For over a century, Radio Flyer has served as the first set of wheels for generations of kids. We’ve helped inspire creative play as wagons transformed into rocket ships, race cars and airplanes, transporting children anywhere they imagined. Now, with over a billion Radio Flyer wheels on the road, we have introduced our biggest innovation for all the kids at heart - Flyer is a line of electric bikes and scooters, our first ever product line created for adult riders.
Radio Flyer has consistently been recognized as a top workplace nationally and locally. Our team has received numerous awards over the years including Fortune’s Best Small & Medium Workplaces, People Magazine’s Companies that Care, the Daily Herald’s Best Places to Work in Illinois, and Vault Top 50 Intern Programs nationwide. Robert Pasin, Chief Wagon Officer and grandson of company founder Antonio Pasin, was recently recognized as a Top CEO of 2021 on Glassdoor. Radio Flyer is also proud to have been named a top workplace for women, minorities, and LGBTQ+ community members over the years by Crain’s and Vault.
At Radio Flyer, we welcome and appreciate all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives — encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We are committed to a culture that embraces feedback, collaboration, and innovation to achieve great results and drive business growth. At Radio Flyer we live by the Little Red Rule, “Every time we touch people’s lives, they will feel FUNomenal!”
The Bike Design Engineer position will play a key role in the continued growth and success of the company. Working with our Product Development team, you will create product concepts, validate them through rigorous prototyping, and focus on design and manufacturing details to develop outstanding bikes and e-bikes. Experience developing bikes that found success in the marketplace is a requirement.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create unique mechanical solutions / product concepts through collaboration with industrial designers and independent problem solving with a focus on steel & aluminum frames, mechanical components, custom accessories, and packaging.
- Communicate product ideas and issues clearly and effectively to the product development team, international team, vendors, and external partners.
- Manage product specifications and costing, issues trackers and project timelines.
- Execute design and engineering solutions by creating physical mock-ups and working with the Prototype Shop.
- Support all performance and reliability testing for Flyer bikes by partnering with product quality engineers.
and implement process improvements to streamline development of bikes and
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3+ years of bike engineering experience (experience with e-bikes preferred)
- Intermediate understanding of electronics and key electromechanical components on e-bikes (li-ion batteries, PCM, display, motor).
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot and communicate issues related to electronics.
- Capable of making design recommendations to improve manufacturing consistency, reduce cost, and improve quality.
- Advanced demonstrated experience with CAD (SolidWorks strongly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to bring products to market
- Able to generate multiple unique concepts to solve engineering and design challenges
- Experience working with overseas team/vendors
- Experience collaborating with
industrial designers and prototype shop
Above all, the individual must commit to our values:
FUNatical Customer Service
Live with Integrity
Yes I Can
Excellence in Everything
Responsible for Success
We are looking for people who live our values and support our vision and mission!
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Please apply online at www.radioflyer.com/careers