People & Culture Business Partner
Posted by Ruff Wear on 09/14/2021
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Human Resources
Company Type: Accessories, Recreation, Retail
Country: United States
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
People & Culture Business Partner
At Ruffwear, we believe success goes beyond making great gear. Started as a one-person endeavor in 1994, Ruffwear has gained the support of dogs and humans around the world and is one of Outside Magazine's 100 Best Places to Work. Known for innovative products that help people and dogs of all abilities enjoy outdoor spaces together, our “pack” values diverse thinking and voices from different backgrounds. We appreciate a willingness to take intentional risks that promote creativity, strengthen customer relationships, and reduce our impact on the planet. Our privately held company reinvests profits back into our business to keep it sustainable and nimble, and we partner with organizations like The Conservation Alliance to help protect the lands and waterways where canines and humans connect and thrive. Based in Bend, Oregon, we test our products and explore with our own dogs among our nearby forests, rivers, and mountains. Our headquarters recently underwent an innovative renovation to provide a workspace that enhances the wellbeing and creativity of our pack. Our warm and collaborative atmosphere fosters the sharing of ideas through respectful and stimulating dialogue and helps us implement new initiatives with gusto.
As part of Ruffwear’s People & Culture team, this position is responsible for providing advice to leadership regarding best practices to maximize employee and process efficiencies. This role will champion a diverse workforce throughout the employee life cycle and foster a culture of continuous improvement.
Human Resources Administration
- Responsible for the development and delivery of various human resources activities, including creating and maintaining job descriptions, employee selection, new employee onboarding, employee handbook updates, record retention, etc.
- Create and maintain a strong recruitment pipeline.
- Advise and train leaders on hiring and terminations to ensure consistent and compliant practices.
- Employee setup and file maintenance within Bamboo HR (HRIS).
- Manage third party vendors relative to human resources.
- Play an active role in the Woof Pack.
- Kick off the quarterly goal setting and bi-annual development conversation process.
- Appropriately address employee relations concerns and conflict resolution in accordance with legal and company guidelines.
- Conduct investigations in response to employee complaints.
Payroll & Benefits
- Facilitate and manage the employee benefits administration, including, annual renewal, COBRA and open enrollment.
- Perform initial on-boarding of new employees and ensure that new employees return paperwork timely for payroll and benefits enrollment.
- Enroll new employees in and term departing employees from Ruffwear’s benefit programs.
- Serve as liaison with accounting regarding payroll processes, compliance, set up for new benefits, pay changes, etc.
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness of the benefits package and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Maintain employee files within legal and best practices guidelines.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with federal laws and all state laws in which Ruffwear has employees.
- Manage leaves of absence in compliance with federal and all state leave laws in which Ruffwear has employees.
- Manage full-cycle workers’ compensation claims, including complying with all required laws, working with insurance representatives, and ensuring appropriate claim management.
- Manage required staff training compliance.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Support and actively participate in Ruffwear’s diversity, equity, and inclusion plan.
- Participate in Ruffwear’s Diversity Action Council to support the process and initiatives that emerge from the work of the committees.
- In tandem with the People & Culture Director, responsible for developing, training, and administering the development management program.
- Promote diversity awareness in the hiring practice.
- Provide regular benchmarking using on-line tools and the HR consultant resource.
- Maintain consistent compensation practices in hiring.
- Assist the People and Culture Director in compensation reviews.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting (Ruffwear office or home office as necessary).
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of seven years experience in progressively responsible HR roles.
- A combination of years of experience and education may be considered.
- Direct experience in HR functional work and procedures such as compensation, benefits, recruitment and selection, training and compliance.
- Proficient in computer skills, including spreadsheets and presentations.
- Ability to utilize sound judgement when handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to analyze reports and statistics.
- Excellent understanding of human resources compliance issues.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to take direction from multiple sources and effectively prioritize.
- Skilled in team collaboration, motivation, and achievement.
- Strength of character, ethics, commitment, and reliability.
- Passion for dogs and first-hand understanding of the interactive bond between canines and humans.
Preferred Education and Experience
- HR Credentials (e.g. PHR, SPHR, SHRM-SCP).
- Working knowledge of all things Apple, including operating systems and applications.
- Proficient in Google Suite, knowledge of HRIS is a plus.
- Passion for the outdoors.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities of the employee to do this job.
About Ruff Wear
Business Unusual. At Ruffwear, we believe success goes beyond making great gear. Started as a one-person endeavor in 1994, Ruffwear has gained the support of dogs and humans around the world, and is one of Outside Magazine's 100 Best Places to Work. Known for innovative products that help people and dogs of all abilities enjoy outdoor spaces together, our "pack" values diverse thinking and voices from different backgrounds. We appreciate a willingness to take intetional risks that promote creativity, strengthen customer relationships, and reduce our impact on the planet. Our privately held company reinvests profits back into our business to keep it sustainable and nimble, and we partner with organizations like The Conservation Alliance to help protect the lands and waterways where canines and humans connect and thrive. Based in Bend, Oregon, we test our products and explore with our own dogs among our nearby forests, rivers, and mountains.