Posted by Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company on 08/18/2022
Industry Sector: Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Purchasing
Company Type: Accessories, Apparel/SoftGoods, HardGoods/Equipment, Service, Retail
City: Saratoga Springs
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: No
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company is the leading independent outdoor specialty retailer in upstate New York. Established in 1993 in the Adirondack Mountains ,we are we have been New York’s leading paddlesports retailer and complete Adirondack outfitter for almost 30 years. We pride ourselves on giving our customers outstanding customer service and a selection of the finest products the outdoor industry has to offer.
Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company is looking for a retail buyer for our downtown Saratoga Springs location. This position will be responsible for ordering for all departments in our 7500 sq. ft store in Saratoga’s main shopping and dining district. We provide a flexible schedule, retirement plan, vacation, substantial discounts on merchandise, and a positive, friendly work environment.
- Create and communicate a comprehensive buying/selling plan for all categories.
- Balance inventory, forecast sales, and plan each category’s retail cycle
- Effectively manage annual seasonal, brand and department purchasing budgets.
- Work with the owner and other store managers to create seasonal budgets for all brands and categories.
- Create orders and meet all brand deadlines maximizing pre-season and in-season orders and oversee and direct the management and entering of all products into our POS (Lightspeed).
- Create and maintain strong relationships with our vendors to ensure we are buying at the lowest possible prices.
- Carefully manage inventory to ensure sell-through and appropriate seasonal stock levels.
- Travel to outdoor industry trade shows to learn about new products, buy products, and build positive vendor relationships.
- Assess inventory levels throughout the annual retail planning cycle and adjust buying to minimize on-hand inventory.
- Collaborate with other managers to create and maintain clear and effective merchandising stories on the sales floor to maximize sell through and overall store appearance.
- Constantly train and coach sales associates so they have the skills and product knowledge necessary to create amazing customer experiences.
- Minimum 3 - 5 years outdoor retail experience
- Previous experience in retail buying for the outdoor industry.
- Extensive leadership and team-management experience and the ability to motivate, lead and delegate.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with MS Office (especially Excel) and POS Systems.
- Must exhibit and high degree of flexibility (and flexibility goes both ways), maintain a solution driven focus in challenging situations, adapt quickly to changing business requirements.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Proven skills as an effective communicator and negotiator.
Please include a cover letter detailing your outdoor experience and interests.
About Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company
Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company is
Our Gear & Clothing Shops carry a full line of camping gear, hiking footwear, outdoor clothing and supplies as well as quality bicycles from Giant, LIV and Growler. Winter sports enthusiasts will find a great selection of X-Country Skis, Back Country gear and Snowshoes.
The Mountainman Rental Outpost rents Canoes & Kayaks and provides shuttles to