Events Manager - Montgomery Whitewater
Posted by Montgomery Whitewater on 01/25/2023
Industry Sector: Action, Bike, Lifestyle, Outdoor, WaterSports
Job Categories: Events, Operations
Company Type: Gym/Outfitter, Recreation, Retailer, Service, TravelandTourism
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: eg. 42-51k/year
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Montgomery Whitewater’s mission is to build an open community that inspires authentic outdoor adventure and excellence.
Montgomery Whitewater is a world class outdoor recreation and entertainment facility situated on the banks of the Alabama River. At its core is a state-of-the-art, man-made whitewater channel, created to bring whitewater rafting, paddling, and outdoor activities, and entertainment to the city of Montgomery and the surrounding region. The facility sits on 120 acres and is designed for all users to enjoy outdoor activities and special events, and to share in a healthy, active lifestyle.
Job Summary – Events Manager
The Events Manager will be responsible for leading all on-site events. This position is key to our success and requires a highly organized, creative, detail oriented and motivated person to serve as lead for event planning, revenue generation, management, production and sponsorship. An overall understanding of the outdoor adventure and/or entertainment business is a major plus in this role. The position deals with a wide range of responsibilities that include: seeking & securing sponsorships, event theme building, creating event programs, communicating with event attendees & corporate donors, marketing, contracting vendors, coordinating event logistics, timelines and tasks as necessary for event production. If you have a passion for creating and delivering events and love being out front and center, enjoy a fast-paced work environment in a beautiful setting, and love the energy involved in a start-up facility, then this opportunity is for you.
Job Duties and Essential Responsibilities:
- Plan and execute a large range of events, varying in size and scope from concert series to running, climbing, and paddling events
- Lead an events team of employees and volunteers
- Collaborate with the marketing team to create an annual events schedule to support the overall goals of the organization
- Create and implement standard policies and procedures for event creation, rollout, and delivery
- Work with the guest services and marketing teams to build the event in the POS system and advertise the event in preparation for rollout and execution
- Negotiate costs and services with vendors; work with operations team to book event space, arrange food and beverage, order all supplies/decorations, coordinate audiovisual equipment & operation, if necessary
- Collaborate with Marketing to create event sponsorship packages and lead the solicitation and securing of sponsorships
- Organize and manage the registration and attendee check-in processes
- Manage the follow-up with vendors, sponsors and staff members following each event
- A bachelor’s degree in management, business, hospitality, outdoor recreation, or the equivalent is required for this position
- 3+ years’ experience coordinating large (500+ guests) events
- A good understanding of general practices, methods and procedures related to events management and experience managing a P&L
- Familiarity with coordinating running & biking events and outdoor industry themed festivals
- Able to work well under deadline pressure and multi-task
- Willing to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Willing to take direction and work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Able to communicate effectively in a professional manner with co-workers, employees, management, subordinates, vendors, and guests
- Teamwork mentality is an absolute must-have
- Be able to work on-site in Montgomery, Alabama indoors for a portion of the time and outdoors leading events and work in the field
- Must be able to work an eight hour shift and lift up to 30 pounds
- Must be able to work at a fast pace and in stressful situations
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays, as expected in a recreation/tourism based event management position
- Health, Dental, Vision, FSA
- Paid Time Off
- Staff discount program and access to on-site activities
- This full-time, benefits-eligible position.
About Montgomery Whitewater
The Montgomery Whitewater Project as a world-class, Olympic-standard whitewater and outdoor activities center, is designed to dramatically improve economic conditions west of downtown along the I-65 corridor.
The 120-acre facility includes one of the few recirculating whitewater parks in the country – a unique attraction that provides dynamic outdoor recreation. It will also include a number of similarly challenging and complementary features in addition to whitewater rafting and kayaking, including zip-lining, mountain biking, ropes courses, climbing, and more.