Posted by Outside Inc on 05/03/2023
Industry Sector: Action, Outdoor
Job Categories: Editorial-Video-Photo, Outfitter- Adventure Travel Staff
Company Type: Retail
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $46,000 - $58,000
Required to Relocate: No
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: Yes
Job Seeker Must Live Within: Telecommute
Job Description & Requirements
ARE YOU READY TO TAKE YOUR CAREER TO NEW HEIGHTS? ARE YOU SEEKING A NEW CHALLENGE IN A DYNAMIC SECTOR?
This is a very exciting and highly innovative time here at Outside.
OUR TRUE NORTH:
Outside Interactive, Inc., the premier hub for active lifestyle enthusiasts, offers best-in-class content and experiences to more than 70 million of the world’s most passionate outdoor, wellness, and endurance enthusiasts every month. We inspire a broad and diverse audience to do the activities they love with greater enjoyment, inspiration, and knowledge and are dedicated to making real change in the outdoor and fitness industries.
As Digital Editor at Outside Online, you’ll join a dynamic, fast paced editorial organization and help lead outdoor culture with provocative and informative storytelling aimed at inspiring our audience to spend more time outside. You’ll work closely with the Adventure channel to develop story ideas, assign and edit content, and shape our evolving strategy. You’ll also work with other editors at our suite of outdoor brands to optimize our internal syndication strategy.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Oversee the story approval and editing of online columns, including Trail Life and Indefinitely Wild
- Assign, edit, and top edit stories for Outside Online’s Adventure and Culture channels
- Assist the Adventure channel team with daily news analysis: writing, editing, conceptualizing
- Attend daily news meeting and monthly feature edit pitch meetings, and contribute ideas for coverage and story framing
- Collaborate on The Approach column in print, including developing ideas, assigning columns, and seeing them through to close
Within 6 months, you will:
- Edit one longform feature per month
- Lead syndication strategy on Outside Online
- Collaborate with product and development teams on special projects
- Develop a stable of new and veteran Outside writers
- Contribute to 2024 editorial planning
Within 12 months, you will:
- Develop new columns and recruit new voices
- Oversee Best Companies to Work For year-long program
- Oversee 3-5 special packages per year
- Contribute to overall site editorial strategy
What YOU bring to Outside: (Preferred Qualifications)
- 3+ years experience assigning and editing stories for a regional or national publication
- Fluency in digital publishing—building stories, sourcing photos, and scheduling posts. Experience with WordPress a plus.
- Longform feature editing experience—or a passion for producing in depth stories with long lead times.
- Experience building newsletters and writing social media copy
- Ability to shepherd stories from the concept phase all the way through to publication
- Endless creativity and a willingness to collaborate on big ideas
Entirely remote jobs that could be performed in Colorado: Employees can expect to be paid a salary between $46,600 to $58,300. Additional benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more. This salary range is merely an estimate and may vary based on an applicant's location, market data/ranges, an applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors.
About Outside Inc
Outside, formerly Pocket Outdoor Media, is the world’s leading creator of active lifestyle content and experiences.
Across web, print, podcast, social, video, and TV, our brands reach 70 million of the most active and influential consumers in the world every month. Our brands include: Outside Integrated Media, OutsideTV, Gaia GPS, athleteReg, Peloton Magazine, Yoga Journal, SKI, BACKPACKER, VeloNews, Climbing, Rock & Ice, Gym Climber, Trail Runner, Women’s Running, Triathlete, Better Nutrition, Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, Clean Eating, Fly Fishing Film Tour, IDEA Health and Fitness Association, Muscle & Performance, NASTAR, National Park Trips, NatuRx, Oxygen, PodiumRunner, Roll Massif, SNEWS, The Voice, Vegetarian Times, VeloPress, VeloSwap, Paleo Mag, Beta, FinisherPix, and Warren Miller Entertainment.
Outside is headquartered in Boulder, with offices in Denver, Carbondale, Easthampton (MA), Frankfurt, New York City, Ojai, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Fe, and Toronto.