Rafting Operations Manager
Posted by Zoar Outdoor on 09/19/2023
Industry Sector: WaterSports
Job Categories: Operations
Company Type: Recreation
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Contact Name: Janet Cowie
Contact Phone: 413-339-4010 ext. 1006
Business Phone: 413-339-4010
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Rafting Operations Manager
The Rafting Operations Manager is responsible for the overall management of Zoar Outdoor and Berkshire Whitewater rafting departments. Zoar Outdoor and Berkshire Whitewater offer whitewater rafting and guided kayak trips on the Deerfield, West, Millers and Concord rivers.
We seek to provide an industry leading whitewater experience for our guests and employees. This includes ensuring continuity of operations across departments in hiring, staff training, customer service, risk management, trip logistics as well as maintaining company culture & values. This position may be a year round position or seasonal position based on the experience and needs of the applicant and organization. The Rafting Operations Manager reports directly to the GMs of Zoar Outdoor and Berkshire East.
While the position's main focus is the rafting and guided kayak programs, all managers at Zoar Outdoor and Berkshire East are expected to participate in, and step towards, the overall tasks and needs of the company as a whole.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
The Rafting Operations Manager oversees rafting supervisors and trip leaders, which includes:
- Coordination and goal setting across departments
- Identify managerial and staff training needs
- Support with payroll verification
- Facilitate reservation and POS software training as needed
- Conduct risk management audits
- Delegate tasks to enhance programmatic delivery
Staff and trip leader training
- Develop a "Train-the-trainer" program for new guide training
- Participate in new guide training
- Instill strong feedback mechanisms for guide development
- Ensure trip leader trainings throughout year
- Maintain a consistent on-river presence to mentor guides and trip leaders.
Administration & Program Planning
- Review program offerings to maximize customer experience and financial stability
- Update reservation and website software platform
- Ensure proper completion of annual river permitting process
- Represent the organizations interests at the annual Deerfield River release schedule meeting
- Schedule pre-season orders
- Coordinate shared bus scheduling and logistics
- Coordinate photographer scheduling, logistics and photo software.
- Work as part of a risk management management team to ensure aligned documentation and process between companies
- Organize new staff recruiting efforts for Zoar Outdoor and Berkshire Whitewater
- Attend staff meetings and professional development training as needed.
- Participate in marketing decisions for rafting and guided programs.
- Seeks overall areas of growth for both Zoar Outdoor and Berkshire Whitewater
Additional duties and tasks
- Assist with grounds and maintenance at Zoar Outdoor
- Annual and ongoing boat and gear maintenance
- Oversee vehicle maintenance and cleaning
- Assist in other tasks and duties necessary for the overall success of Zoar Outdoor and Berkshire Whitewater.
About Zoar Outdoor
Our exhilarating whitewater rafting, kayaking, and zip lining activities make for fun and memorable adventures. We strive to enhance the lives of our guests by creating the best human-powered outdoor adventures available.