Conservation Team Special Projects Crew Member
Posted by Access Fund on 11/14/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Trail Management
Company Type: Conservation, Recreation
State: AR, CA, CO, KY, NH, PA, TN, UT, VA, WV
Country: United States
Job Type: Seasonal Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Access Fund is the nonprofit advocacy organization that leads and inspires the climbing community toward sustainable access and conservation of the climbing environment. Founded in 1991, Access Fund represents more than 8 million climbers across the country. We execute that mission across six core program areas, including Climbing Policy and Advocacy, Stewardship and Conservation, Local Support and Mobilization, Land Acquisition and Protection, Risk Management and Land Owner Support, and Education.
The Access Fund Conservation Team (CT) is the leading climbing-area stewardship program in the U.S. Since 2011, the program has met the growing demand for climbing-area conservation and long-term sustainability.
CTs are a unique combination of conservation, natural resource, and recreation specialists. Exceptional candidates are proficient in a breadth of trail and recreation infrastructure techniques, equipment, and skills. They are competent in project implementation. They have a passion for climbing and travel, proven technical trail-building skills, and an ability to manage field resources in variable environments and locations across the country. They are excellent communicators that can lead, inspire, and include the climbing community and volunteers to work toward exemplary climbing-area stewardship.
Individual or pre-paired teams will be considered. Members will be selected for their ability to promote the mission and values of Access Fund while making critical improvements to climbing resources across the U.S. The 2024 Conservation Team program is expected to run from February 26, 2024 through December 6, 2024.
- Complete technical trail and infrastructure projects at climbing areas in a variety of environments, landscapes, and climates while following proper safety protocol.
- Safely work to efficiently complete climbing infrastructure projects to a high standard.
- Leverage a host of technical field skills, resources, and materials to complete complex trail and stewardship projects.
- Maintain timelines and deliverables to fulfill land manager, community, and sponsor expectations.
- Support the creation of stories, photos, and videos for the Access Fund website, blog, Vertical Times, social media channels, and e-news.
- Represent Access Fund, the Conservation Team program, the sport of climbing, and program sponsors in a positive, professional manner at all times.
- Be committed to the practice of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in the workplace and within the climbing community.
- Maintain timely and accurate records of project and volunteer activity as well as expenses and time reporting.
- Proven knowledge and experience in trail design, construction, and maintenance practices and techniques, including stone construction, high-line rigging systems, and technical trail structures.
- Passion for people, climbing, education, and stewardship.
- An ability to develop a strong working relationship with fellow CT members and the ability to spend extended time with others in close quarters and through challenging conditions.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, in frequently challenging terrain and use tools properly.
- Experience in overseeing and motivating volunteers and field crews.
- A sense of adventure and positive attitude, flexibility, adaptability, and creativity.
- Proactive problem-solving and self-sufficiency.
- Strong skills in time and task management, scheduling, and balancing work/life.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Computer savvy (proficient with Google Suite, Microsoft Word/Excel, photo/video, internet, email, etc.).
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Satisfactory completion of a background check.
- This role requires an on-the-road lifestyle for the term of employment. Company vehicle and camping provided.
- Wilderness First Aid or First Responder certification, or willingness to acquire it before the season begins.
- Trail knowledge specific to climbing areas and climbing infrastructure, including a demonstrated understanding of climber use patterns and impacts.
Not meeting all the requirements but still feel like you’d be a great fit? Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translate directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered. Tell us how you can contribute to our team in a cover letter.
Compensation & Benefits
- Generous time off, including paid vacation, holidays, and sick time.
- Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance.
- Access to retirement plan with 403(b) matching after one year of employment.
- Pro-deals with qualifying corporate partners.
- A lifestyle requiring no full-time expenses such as rent and utilities. Company vehicle, camping, and equipment provided.
To view the job posting in its entirety, please go to accessfund.org/careers. Send resume, references, and cover letter specifically addressing you or your team’s qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “2024 Conservation Team” in the email subject line. Applications are due by December 4, 2023.
No calls or paper submissions, please.
Access Fund is an equal opportunity employer, compliant with all federal and applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. Access Fund provides employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. We seek to attract a skilled workforce that reflects the diverse demographics of current and future outdoor enthusiasts. At Access Fund, we pride ourselves on the health and happiness of our staff. Together, we are building an organization and an industry where great ideas, born from a diversity of experiences, thrive.